The Chief of Staff, Government House, Sokoto State
They say ‘success of any Government House depends upon capacity, ability, planning and management skills of the Chief of Staff that oversees such an important institution. That is exactly what the Governor of Sokoto State finds in the current Chief of Staff to warrant reappointment into such a strategic position after successfully winning elections for second term as the Governor of Sokoto State.
In Sokoto State, Alhaji Mukhtar Umar Magori, became the first, pioneer Chief of Staff Government House of Sokoto State in 2017, and, he is the incumbent chief of staff to date. As the Chief of Staff, he acts as the ‘Watcher’, Defender’ and the ‘Gate Keeper’ to his principal; His Excellency Rt Hon. (Barr. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal (CFR), the Governor of Sokoto State. The Chief of Staff work both on and off the stage to ensure successful implementation of Governor’s pledges to the governed.
He sets the tune for the overall operations of the office of the Governor of Sokoto State. He is integral in detecting and solving problems that do not require the attention of his principal. He guides in the preparation of activities, programs and schedules of the Governor. Correspondences passes through the Chief of Staff for preparations and sorting before reaching the desk of His Excellency the Governor.
They Governor may assign any other responsibility to the Chief of Staff as he may deem fit. The Chief of Staff regularly liaise with heads of Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) for effective planning of activities and programs that require His Excellency the Governor’s attention. The Chief of staff is a ‘problem solver’ and ‘Engineer’ for quality assurance of what goes around the Government House and indeed His Excellency the Governor of Sokoto State.
Some of the key primary roles, functions of the Chief of staff Government House of Sokoto State are as follows:
- Organizing Governor’s Official Schedules
- Providing Administrative and Technical Support to the Governor
- Advising the Governor on issues and matters of importance that requires his attention and action
- Mediating with stakeholders on matters that requires Governor’s intervention
- Coordinating meetings between the Governor and guests that are not familiar with the system
- Intervening in balancing private and official work of the Governor for maximum efficiency
- Provision of political and administrative guidance and intelligence that strikes balance between public and political activities of the Governor
- Liaison with the Permanent Secretary Government House, Director General Protocol, Chief Security Officer, ADC and other strategic professionals working with the Governor or at Government House
The Chief of Staff, Mukhtar Umar Magori is an engaging subordinate to His Excellency the Governor, he therefore welcome all-inclusive feedback fon all activities in Government House Sokoto and around Governor Tambuwal of Sokoto State.